Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Great Steaks at Home

Have you ever been disappointed grilling your own steak? I have. After devouring steaks other houses (not restaurants) I learned there is a secret to grilling great steaks at home.

After finishing a delicious steak dinner at my in-law’s house, I decided to ask my father-in-law to share his secret. The steaks we had tonight tasted as good as any dinner I have had at a steak restaurant and I wanted to know how I could make them too.

We don’t have steak very often (steak and three adult boys don’t usually fit in the budget) but if I was going to spend money on steak at home I wanted it to taste delicious.

One tip I learned from grilling over the years – the marinade and quality of the meat is as important as how you grill them. If you stand over the grill, open it multiple times, or overcook your meat, it will not taste amazing.

It will taste like one of those hot dogs my dad use to burn every 4th of July. Apparently my dad is the only person in the world who loves charred hotdogs.

However, I digress. Remember that once you put your meat on the grill… let it be. Don’t check on it constantly. Set a timer and flip when the timer goes off. Of course much of this depends on your grill and the temperature, and the cut of meat.

I recommend investing in a grill thermometer so you don’t overcook your meat. They are inexpensive and make a great father’s day gift!

Great Steak Marinade

Ingredients

  • Olive oil
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak

Instructions

  1. Place all your steaks on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
  2. Drizzle with a third of a capful of balsamic vinegar.
  3. Sprinkle the steaks with McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak, and then take a fork and poke the steaks all over.
  4. Flip the steaks and repeat the process.
  5. Let the steaks sit for about 20 minutes on the cookie sheet before grilling. 

Notes

When cooking the steaks do not continuously flip them on the grill. Cook them on one side for sixty percent of the cooking time, and then flip and cook for the remainder of the time.

Best Steaks for the Grill

These steaks don’t need to marinade for long periods of time. They are grill ready. They are also pretty expensive. I try to shop the sales and snag packages of marked down meat when possible. Remember to cook or freeze any marked down meat the same day to avoid getting sick.

  • New York strip steak
  • Porterhouse
  • Ribeye
  • T-bone
  • Tenderloin
  • Top sirloin

Avoid cuts of beef that have the word “roast” in them. They are best for crock pot or slow cooker recipes.

Other amazing recipes for the grill

The post Great Steaks at Home appeared first on The Happy Housewife™ :: Cooking.

   

Related Stories



from The Happy Housewife (Full Feed) http://bit.ly/2wM8iST

No comments:

Post a Comment